Wednesday 28 October 2020 

Meeting # 2044

ID = 867 4576 1524   P/CODE = 204 919


President David sends his apologies - he is still deliberating on many important matters!
Unfortunately Trish is still in hospital, so we send her our very best wishes for a speedy resolution to her health situation.


October 30th 7.40 pm Quiz starts promptly at 8 pm by Zoom. All welcome - $10 per head or $30 a household

Booking details

Join us for a virtual night of trivia, fun and a silent auction. Your Zoom link will be sent to the Email you forwarded to the event organiser when you booked*, the afternoon of Friday 30th along with your answer sheet and the silent auction prize details.

Your booking and auction payments will support:

Northern Bay College

Geelong Mums

Hope Bereavement Care

*see button on link page above


Club Admin Committee Meeting 21/10/20

Attendance: John, Don, Lesley, Jan, Pam and Ray contacted by phone.

  • Guest speaker for 28th October is Toni Afaras from the Stroke Foundation. Invitations have been sent to other clubs to join us.

  • After the AGM our guest speaker will be Michelle Van Liessum talking about the work being done by the Rotary Foundation and funding. “Strong Foundations” newsletter was sent to all clubs.

  • Centurian funding: discussion took place on how we could do it this year. Suggestion will be taken to the Board that members may wish to contribute $10 a month or full payment of $100.  Contributions would be optional.

  • Christmas function: The Grovedale and Waurn Ponds Hotels were contacted. At this stage we would not be able to have the number of members we require. The venues are waiting for further easing of indoor dining restrictions. The committee will keep in touch.

  • Other suggestions were a possible spit roast or BBQ at Don Lester’s woolshed providing we are allowed to have all of the members on site. Use our club trailer. Suggested that we could have a raffle and cost it so as to raise some funds. Graham Perkins also mentioned the previous meeting that it might be possible to have a BBQ on his property.

  • A coffee get together was arranged for Saturday 24th at 10am. It has been cancelled by David due to lack of numbers. Looks like we will organise it at another date. 

  • Our next committee meeting will be held at lunchtime at a café in our area. If possible other committees may want to meet face to face as well.

  • Meetings in January 2021: 13th will be a social night; 20th a Board meeting; 27th hopefully a meeting with Torquay. Our turn to organise the evening. 

  • Discussion on the Lotto fundraiser. The committee wasn’t in favour of running it in our club, but thought that it was an interesting suggestion. 

  • Advertising to the club of: our Gifting Program for Christmas; Kardinia’s “Geelong Gourmet Goodies Hampers” and their Quiz night. The club has also been invited to attend East Geelong Meetings. 

Jan Gillett Director

Community Service Committee Report as follows;
Wednesday 22nd of October 2020
Opened 7:30 pm
Closed 8:15 pm

Attendees; Phil Vernon, Jordan Bryson, Bill Trengrove, Michael Sheean, Paul Desbrowe Annear and Les Seiffert
We have successfully completed our project with the residents of Rice Village, by providing and delivering sweet treat packages and putting smiles on faces. Thanks to Jordan and his cafe for providing the goodies and organising distribution. 
We would now like to explore the possibility of doing the same (or similar) with at least two other Aged Care Facilities. We will make a request that our board approve up to $1000 to fund the next stage. Jordan will talk to Jan regarding contacts for the other facilities that we would normally visit with Christmas gifts. We will make contact with the management teams of those facilities to gain their approval. We will wait for our board’s approval before making contact. 
Bill though that we should contact Aldi (Highton) re the possibility of BBQ’s as the Belmont Club continues every Saturday in Belmont. Phil spoke with Gary Clark re the possibility, he has made some good progress. Our Committee will support Gary and his Committee in getting back to regular BBQ’s.
Phil Vernon
There was no Committee Meeting on Wednesday night.
Gary sent out an email to his Committee from PDG Rosanne Kava, District Membership Chair, with details of a short video with ideas on growing or sustaining memberships within Clubs and asking for comments and ideas.
He also asked for comments about the new business card for the Club organized by David.
However he has followed up the suggestion re BBQs at Aldi Waurn Ponds following discussions with Belmont Rotary.
I went in and spoke to the Belmont boys this morning. 
They go in every Saturday at 7am and set up. They work in two's until 2pm and then pack up.
They do sausages and egg and bacon toasted sandwiches. I watched and talked to them.
They make about $400 per Saturday. Sometimes $500. They sell only Coke (full stream and diet coke) and water. 
Have since spoken to David C and we will not be setting up at 7am as Aldi open at 8.30am. 
We will not be doing egg and bacon sandwiches.
So David C maybe Phil, Perko and myself are going out to Perkos during the week to set up the tent and see what position we put the trailer etc etc.
Belmont just have a trailer BBQ only and they put the tent over it. They admitted that it's antiquated.
We need to find out whether the doors on our trailer when opened fit under the side of our tent.
Tuesday 13 October - Lyn Codd
Thursday 15 October - Rob Gillett
We wish you both a very happy birthday!
Heather and Graham Perkins - 50 years - Friday 23 October - 1970
Congratulations to you both!
None in October!
Wednesday 28 October
Speaker from Stroke Foundation - Toni Arfaras - STROKESAFE
You will learn - what stroke is and how to recognize the signs of stroke
                        - what to do if someone is having a stroke
                        - how to prevent stroke in you or the people you love
Wednesday 4 November
Board Meeting - ALL WELCOME
Wednesday 11 November
Judy Beasley - Indigenous Literacy Project
DG Phil Beasley - Official DG visit
Wednesday 18 November
Committee Meetings (organized by Directors)
Wednesday 25 November
Annual General Meeting
Guest speaker - Rotary Foundation
 Our faith should be our steering wheel not our spare tire.
Dear President, 
Keeping in touch across Clubs has never been so easy and a great opportunity for our Club members to attend each other's meetings. 
The Rotary Club of Geelong East club meeting is held every Tuesday at 7:00pm. If you or members of your Club would like to drop in on any of our meetings, please let me know so that we can share the Zoom link with you. 
Likewise I am sure some of our members would be only too happy to visit your Club.
We don't always have guest speakers and sometimes it's just us exchanging ideas, thoughts and highlights. Next week our Membership and PR Directors will be talking to us about what they are up to. 
To drop in could yet be another opportunity to exchange ideas!   
President 2020-2021
Rotary Club of Geelong East
Today (Saturday 24 Oct 2020) is World Polio Day.
Despite all the difficulties that Covid-19 has brought to the world, Rotary continues to work with its partners the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the World Health Organization (WHO) to eradicate polio completely. And we are so close. Find out more at
ClubRunner Mobile